President Trump: A nightmare for Americans

Photo by Michael Vadon, License: CC by 2.0

Despite outrage from the general populous at the bombastic Donald Trump’s campaign for President, a great number of Republicans continue to support him, and shockingly, he remains the overwhelming favourite for the Republican presidential nomination. This confounding support of Trump can, in truth, be narrowed down to a few key reasons, one of which is a disturbing lack of knowledge regarding actual policy, and a misguided focus on political rhetoric. In my honest opinion, the way to defeat Trump is not to simply slam him for his admittedly asinine stance on immigration, but to deliver a systematic breakdown of his economic policies, and explain how malevolent they would indeed be to the US economy. That is what I seek to achieve in this article; to provide a brief respite from his nauseating rhetoric and to inform the average American what a President Trump could actually mean for their day-to day lives, and indeed, the lives of people around the world. The fact remains that the effects of Donald Trump would not stay consigned merely in American soil, but would be felt around the world, so instead of a simply American issue, this is a global one too, and people around the globe need to act to stop this man getting any sort of political power.

One of Mr. Trump’s landmark policies is a 25% tariff on Chinese goods entering the USA. Now, although the seasoned businessman naïvely suggests that after imposing this tariff on the Chinese, jobs will return back to the USA, it is a shaky claim at best. Assuming the World Trade Organisation would support the USA in doing this, which is highly unlikely in itself, this tariff would result in China creating trade barriers to U.S. exports to China itself. With China taking up a drastically increased proportion of global GDP off late, Xi Jinping’s government will not take the Trump tariff imposition lightly, and would likely respond viciously, hurting America drastically. As China is one of the biggest markets in the world for US exporters, this would drastically decrease the profits of firms operating in the USA and exporting to China, resulting in them having to impose job cuts, the exact antithesis of what Trump wants to happen. Although Trump is correct in saying that China has deliberately undervalued its currency in order to make its exports more competitive and to bring jobs to their economy, inciting a trade war is simply not the right way to combat this, and it would lead to a worsening of the US job situation.

Now, let’s get on to what the majority of this factually dubious Trump campaign hinges on: immigration. Donald Trump’s misinformed immigration policies could lay the framework for a complete and utter slowdown of the US economy, by costing the economy so much that it eventually stalls. A study by the Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy claimed that undocumented immigrants contribute $11.84 billion to the US economy each year, a staggering amount, which is far too much to lose. Many of these illegal immigrants also are paid very low wages, and so by driving them out, Trump is instantly raising wages in some states where illegal immigrants make up more than 5% of the general population. The Center for American Progress, in 2010, claimed that deporting all these immigrants would suck $2.5 trillion from the US economy over 10 years, which could have gone into funding other sects of the economy, namely healthcare, which the USA desperately needs to reform. The increase in wages resulting from mass immigration would also result in firms having to impose job cuts, which would further increase unemployment rates and further shrink the economy as a whole, even for much long after Trump has left the White House. That doesn’t seem like making America great again to me.

A vitally important service to the US citizens is healthcare, as mentioned above. Donald Trump, if somehow voted in as President, would completely destroy Obamacare, which the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimated would cost $0.5 trillion to the US economy over the next 10 years after it is implemented. In addition to this, 21 million Americans would lose insurance coverage under this plan, only 5% of whom would regain coverage under Trump’s replacement scheme. In addition to his other policies, the Committee proclaimed that the total debt from a Trump presidency after 10 years would be between 115 and 140% of GDP, reaching unsustainable levels. These significant levels of debt mean that there is a high likelihood that the USA would simply not have enough money to spend on other key areas, for example education, which is a fundamental human right. Therefore, it is easily ascertainable that a few years of a Trump presidency could leave ramifications which would still be felt for decades to come. By voting Trump, one is potentially risking not just their children’s future, but also that of their grandchildren, and when the chips are down and Trump actually has to enact his policy plans, sparks would be felt throughout the world.

Shrey Srivastava, 15

48 Comments Add yours

1. ratishagoyal says:

I dread the same. If Trump is voted to power, he is going to spread the venom to the entire world, wreck the world economy to benefit his loyal lobby of capitalists of his country. May wisdom rule upon the Americans to choose the right man/woman for the post.

Liked by 2 people

2. Roger Strickland says:

Sounds extreme. I think you should get your facts from more sources. Each source looks at facts differently. Find what is common in a multiple of sources and you will find the truth.

Liked by 2 people

1. I’ve made this judgement after looking at an array of different sources, both pro and anti-Trump.

Liked by 1 person

3. smallivy says:

Let me first say that Trump is not my first choice, and also that he is a moderate, and not Conservative. Let me ask about your statement, however:

“Many of these illegal immigrants also are paid very low wages, and so by driving them out, Trump is instantly raising wages in some states where illegal immigrants make up more than 5% of the general population.”

The current “system,” which has been created by ignoring US immigration laws at the behest of wealthy business owners who support Republicans and Democrats who want votes, is to not enforce employment laws so that employers can hire illegal immigrants and rarely get caught. This has forced people like contractors who don’t hire illegal immigrants to go out of business since they cannot compete with slave labor wages and competitors who are avoiding employment taxes by paying people under-the-table. This has caused the loss of a large number of skilled labor jobs like bricklayers and carpenters as skilled craftsmen have gone on unemployment. Yes, wages and costs have dropped, but quality has also declined. It is also not an accident that the number of people in the US on perpetual welfare almost matches the number of illegal aliens.

Meanwhile, cities and counties have had to pay out far more in healthcare and education expenses since the workers don’t make enough to pay for their own way on these slave wages, increasing taxes for middle class citizens. (Understand why they’re upset and voting for Trump?) You also have people dying in the desert every day trying to cross and people being raped, murdered, and robbed by coyotes who are paid to help them cross. There are also enough people being killed each day in the US by illegal aliens through (mainly drug trade) murders and drunk drivers to fill a 747 because the porous borders make it easy for gang members and drug traffickers to cross, not to mention terrorists. Serious measures to keep these bad actors out are not possible since people just entering for a job could be killed or injured.

My plan is therefore to:
    1. Institute a fine for an employer who employees illegal aliens without at least checking them through E-Verify for status of $20,000 per worker per year. If an illegal worker turns themselves and other in, he/she would receive half of this fine. This would cause the jobs to disappear, causing most illegal aliens to self-deport.

2. Require able-bodied welfare recipients to work a full time job. The welfare office would be transformed into a place where workers and employers are matched. If there truly were not enough jobs, the workers could do temporary jobs for the state or nation. Work-free welfare would only go to people who cannot work due to physical or mental issues and would come in the form of food and goods rather than cash.

3. Allow as many people into the country through the legal system who are willing to work to become citizens and integrate into society who want to come. These individuals must apply in their country of origin, so those here now illegally would need to return and get in line. Immigrants who do not continue to make progress or who do not keep steady work would be deported.

4. If there remains a need for additional workers, create guest worker programs (or use existing ones) where the employers are responsible for all education and healthcare requirements created by their workers, must pay all employment taxes, and is financially responsible for any crimes committed by guest workers in their employ.

1. That’s a really interesting plan and I agree with most of the points you’ve made, but unfortunately I think the problem with illegal immigration is that it’s got too major to stop now; America has to work with illegal immigrants in order to continue to prosper as a country.

1. smallivy says:

Slavery was an institution in the American South 150 years ago. It was critical for the large plantations to run because there was a lot of hard manual labor that needed to be done and allowed a lot of wealthy plantation owners to prosper. That didn’t mean that it was right to continue slavery.

America can continue to flourish without the new slavery that takes the form of illegal immigration. The reason that Republican candidates have done nothing about it is that their rich supporters want illegal immigration so that they can pay sub-market wages without the workers having a voice for fear of deportation. It is wrong and needs to stop. Sure people might need to pay a little more for homes, yard work, and childcare. They might need to settle for a smaller home, mow their own grass, and (god forbid) raise their own kids. We’ll survive.

2. akboogy says:

Immigration is one of these issues, like reproductive rights, that inspires heated discussion, and sadly, largely, unhelpful rhetoric. It seems like the discussion precludes most immigration in fact, typically zeroing in on immigration from Mexico and Central America. Further, those most fervent, seem to always tie, in one way or another, illegal immigration to welfare?

I’d argue that most American’s would be better served overall by an expansion of government assistance, rather than the continual cutting of services. Big business, finance, ie. the GOP, has masterfully conned the public into believing the poor choose to be so, and the wealthy pay far to many taxes supporting these losers…and illegals. It’s really twisted, yet sort of genius, as it has largely worked beginning in earnest with Ronald Reagan in 1980.

But you’re a smart kid, this is likely on your radar, right? It’s just sad the way politics pitted the poor against the poor against the middle class against the poor, all the while praising the rich for that which “trickles down.” Ha!

3. Thank you so much 🙂 I agree completely! It’s amazing how far right America has leaned in recent years.

2. Alisha says:

I agree with you on this one. I think these plans would definitely improve the state this country is in with illegal immigration and I feel that we have to fix this so that we can prosper.

4. Scottie says:

Reblogged this on Scotties Toy Box and commented:
    Again the author has written a very well thought out and researched post. I enjoy this blog. I recommend it to everyone. There are many reasons to not to want trump for president. Most think only of the emotional reasons to not like trump, but the author of the post gave the monetary reasons. Well done. Hugs

1. Thank you very much 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Scottie says:

Hello again. After rereading your post, which I still think is well done, I do have a question. What changes in the US health care system would best help businesses, help the people of the US, and is their a difference between what is good for business also good for the population. For example if our businesses did not have to cover any part of health care could they lower the export cost of their goods and by doing so sell more? However would putting the full cost of health care on Government cause more problems than it helps, such as what taxes or fees must be leveled to pay for such care? Is their a middle ground or another way to accomplish both goals? Thanks, I know you must have researched some of this as it is a big finance problem. Oh is part of the problem the high incomes of some doctors or hospital administrators, is drug costs a problem, and what about the combining or creating a single hospital the only one in the area to be able to perform some needed procedures, which is controlled by the state and government? Thanks champ, you have quite a skill. Best wishes, and hugs

5. claire says:

Interesting points all round. Thanks everyone!
    It’s my personal belief that Trump is merely a useful tool to get Clinton elected, (the probable choice of the real folks manipulating media/ economics and politic – she’s also a nasty piece of work). “You have to vote for her to stop Trump!” etc. I pity the US and the world.

1. Thank you so much for the comment 🙂 I agree with you pitying the US and the world :/

Liked by 1 person

2. akboogy says:

I’d argue the same. It’s spun perfectly to pose Hillary as the liberal savior, despite the fact, in many ways, she’s basically a Republican of the Eisenhower/Nixon mold. You can’t say they’re stupid, but you can say they’re corrupt.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much 🙂 Definitely!

6. Excellent post. Why not get yourself buttons for Twitter, Facebook etc?

7. Oh – you DO have buttons for them – sorry!

8. But how come Twitter has suspended your account?

1. I had no clue, my new one’s at @blogshrey 🙂

9. discourseblog says:

Hi Shrey,
    First of all thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. You’ve been at this a lot longer than me and it’s a buzz to get visitors, let alone comments.
    Secondly I’m a recently retired school teacher (English and Philosophy) and I am very impressed with the articulate nature of your writing in the articles.
    Thirdly, your interest in finance and trading is really our of my area of expertise but it is so encouraging to see that interest in those areas which effect and will continue to effect the world in which we live is alive and being debated with civility and intelligence among people of all ages and contexts. That is one of the key things I wanted my blog to encourage – civil, intelligent discourse. Thanks for being part of that and I hope that you will continue to visit and give us your insights into the discussion.

10. dave says:

Nice job, Shrey. I agree with what you say, and more importantly, appreciate the effort you put into making a respectful and solid argument.

1. Thank you so much 🙂

11. welcomepresence says:

Hi Shrey, you build a solid argument and you put it out there in a respectful way. I appreciate your post. Nice job!

1. Thank you very much 🙂

12. Rachel says:

I think you are not really getting why Trump is popular. He’s popular for the same reason that other populist liars are popular, he says what frustrated people want to hear. He’s not stupid (although apparently shockingly ignorant of the Constitution) in fact he’s very calculating, delivering the next sound bite in time to keep his hairpiece in the news.

What’s really scary to me is that we have absolutely no idea of what he stands for or what he’d do, worse yet, I’m not sure he does either.

As a trans woman I can’t in good conscious support any of the republicans because they all decided that when it comes to LGBT issues they have to leave their brains at the door to appeal to the bible thumpers (not all religious people, we have a particular strain).

So I’m frightened of Trump, terrified of Cruz but comforted by the fact that the president has little domestic power.

1. Thanks for the comment; personally, I actually agree with you when you say why he’s popular; however, in my opinion, the only way to somehow decrease his popularity is to use logic and reason, which I’ve tried to do in this article.

13. Interesting points, however, you neglected to recognize his business achievements. He’s made a lot of money and knows how the economy works. And, yes, he has even used the law for his own protection (what’s new there?) I think he’s done that by listening to advisors he trusts.Despite his persona, I trust him more than any of the other politicians. He may call me a horse’s ass, while the others will say I have something important to contribute and do whatever benefits themselves. Just my two cents.

Liked by 1 person

1. akboogy says:

You probably have summed up his general appeal to most supporters. It says a lot when so many feel him as the trustworthy one comparatively. And what it says about the modern Republic is terrifying.

Liked by 1 person

1. Agreed! Thanks for the comment 🙂

14. I enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing!

1. Thank you very much 🙂

15. I agree with your strategy for defeating him. The man is not a conservative; going by his rhetoric, he despises free trade. Critics should harp on this message.

16. As Donald Trump would say, a 25% tariff on Chinese goods would be “yuuuugeee”. And “yuge” in a bad way for the world. China would certainly retaliate and it would end up only hurting US businesses which you mentioned. In my opinion, it is certainly wrong that China has been manipulating its currency to gain an economic advantage and there military movements in the South China Sea are alarming. All of these troubles can be put aside by proper communication. World leaders need to come together and sort out their differences before someone makes a wrong move. Communication, communication!

-Liam Sullivan of The Numbers Journal

17. James82 says:

Wow another fantastic article. I’ve shared this on my blog. Thanks for laying out the economic peril of a Trump presidency so clearly!

18. James82 says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    A great article about how a Trump presidency will impact the economy, not just in the U.S., but worldwide.

19. If ever Trump succeeds in implementing his international trade plan, think how China could influence USD valuation through its acquisition of US treasury bonds… igggsss…

20. Charles Brown says:

Watching people supporting Trump just pains me and worries me. I feel people are taking it lightly for they don’t really believe such a stupid person can actually get into power

21. I think we share many similar viewpoints on this issue, Shrey. Considering that you have an informed background on this issue, I would appreciate it if you took some time to read my article about Donald Trump’s foreign policy and let me know what you think. Thanks! https://improvesocietytoday.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/donald-trump-has-a-concerning-foreign-policy/

1. Reading now; thanks! 🙂